"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Home is not where you live, but where they understand you." - Christion Morgenstern
"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them." -J.K. Rowling

Thursday, February 3, 2011

We were strangers, starting out on a journey. . .

As you have all seen, our family has had a lot of really crazy adventures. We've had our ups and downs, and we've all become new people because of them. No one will deny it. I was thinking about this the other day and realized - our very first adventure never made it up here.
We were all strangers - I'd known Tanner for at least a decade, Katie for a good three years. Katie had made this new friend at the Megaplex - The Workplace. His name, she'd told me, was Ryan Ditty. What an odd name, right? No offense, Ry, but it was true at the time.
Katie had wanted to go and get manicures and pedicures for the longest time, so naturally, I got dragged into it - and since Katie and Tanner had just recently become friends, I invited Tanner. Katie thought it'd be great to invite this new Ryan kid - she thought we'd get along for some strange reason. Thank heaven I went along with it.
So, we all ended up at the beauty school at the MATC building. Yes, our two amazing boys came with us. We were introduced to the amazing - in the nicest way possible - airheaded students of beauty. As we got our fingernails filed down we were treated to the most entertaining stories of how they all met, where we work, and their horror stories of car crashes.
I'll only relay the basics of the car crash stories because they were pretty classic. They're beauty school students, so they work on people, right? Question for the general public - a.k.a. those who read this blog - what do they practice on? That's right, manakin pieces. Pieces here meaining, fingers, toes, and heads. Now what happens when your car is contantly loaded with these human body parts, and you happen to get in a rather nasty car wreck? Lets just say that the pieces fly EVERYWHERE. Which can lead to some pretty entertaining questions to the officers that attend the wreck. These girls were special, ok?
Anyway, the guys settled with the 'man-polish' for their fingers because they just couldn't bring themselves to decide on a color. I can't remember the colors Katie and I chose, but it wasn't really important. After our hands were all nice and man/polished, we moved to the pedicure chairs. These are the big, padded massage chairs, so this was definitly an improvement. As we're all sitting there, my mom decides to text me:
What're you up to? she said.
Getting manis and pedis with Katie, Tanner and Ditty (which is how I was first introduced to Ryan), I replied.
What the heck is a ditty? my mom asked.
We all busted up laughing after I relaid this message to the beginings of our family. I don't remember the colors Katie and I got on our toes either. I just remembered that Tanner's toes ended up either a deepish pink or a lightish red - which I'm pretty sure is the same thing, but you know. And that Ryan couldn't decide between more manpolish or a design. Our wonderful beauty school girl, Jenna - I think her name was, talked him into painting his toes solid white. Since that was a rather boring option, she also suggested that he let her paint black dots to resemble the sides of die. So he did.
We came away from this experience, a lot more scared then we ever thought we'd be, and deffinitly - especially the boys - a lot more painted than we'd been in our entire lives.

Moments Like These

No comments:

Post a Comment