"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Home is not where you live, but where they understand you." - Christion Morgenstern
"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them." -J.K. Rowling

Friday, December 24, 2010

Wait, you can rent golf carts? No. Way.

*****BTW, this story is the background story to the story about our day at the Thanksgiving Point Gardens... so read it.******

So, me and Katie have this tradition of always being... stupid. It's not like we plan it, it's just that we do stupid stuff when we're together. This time is not an exception.

Once upon a very long time ago, Katie and I were just clocking off, and I decided that I wanted to show Katie the gardens at Thanksgiving Point. I've always loved this place, and I thought I should show her the beauty inside. So I drove her over from our work, paid for the admission, and we started to walk towards the beauty. As we were just walking out, I noticed some golf carts that were parked outside. I ignored them, and Katie and I started our trek down to the waterfall (my favorite attraction). Then, all of a sudden, out of no where, by surprise, without prior notice, a golf cart with guests drove past us.

"Wait, you can rent golf carts?" Katie asked. "No. Way."

"Yeah, it's like 20 bucks." I said.

"Oh, never mind then."

"Katie?" I turned to her. "I have twenty dollars, we are so renting a golf cart!"

"Okay," her excited voice screamed.  I ran back inside to buy a golf cart, and walked out with a cashier who instructed us on how to use a golf cart.  After making fun of the fact that we already knew the peddle on the right meant "go," Katie and I were off!

*Keep in mind, Katie and I are teenagers.  We were just handed a golf cart in a public garden.  Let the games begin.*

Katie had the wheel first, and she speed (well, as fast as you can in a golf cart.  Let me repeat: well, as fast as you can in a golf cart.  Have I made it clear that golf carts are not fast?  Okay, good.  Keep this in mind when you read the next Gardens story.) down the hill towards... fun!  Her and I switched off several times during the two hour period driving our rented green friend.  We sped around everywhere we could, having fun, laughing, talking, the works.  Then, Katie found a spot in the path where two other trails met and came to a circle- a round a bout.  Next thing I know, I am seeing the same spot in the grass every seven seconds, and Katie drove in circles screaming "Round-a-bout!!!!!"

I laughed as Katie drove us around and around and around again on this little round-a-bout we found in the middle of the gardens.  After going around the twenty sixth time Katie looks over at me, "Why is it that my brother takes me on better dates than my boyfriend?"  I just laughed as I grabbed the wheel from her, pulling her out of the circle saying "Because I'm sexier than him, and he's a whore."

Then I directed Katie towards the waterfalls.  If any of you don't know anything about the waterfall at the Thanksgiving Point Gardens, it is the biggest man-made waterfall in the Western Hemisphere (that's North and South America.  Yeah, I passed world geography).  This thing is HUGE! and it's beautiful!  There's trail at the top where you can look down and look at all of the inner workings of the waterfall.  I instructed Katie through the small trail, looking at the beauty inside the waterfall.  As we were pulling out of the waterfall, I looked behind to see a sign that said
No Segways
No Wheelchairs
No Golf Carts
"Umm, Katie?" I said.  "Look at the sign behind us."  She stopped the car and just laughed, "we better not get in trouble for that!"  We hurried off of that trail and back to our starting point.

Not long after, it was my turn to drive, so I grabbed the wheel, and I "just happened" to find the round-a-bout again, and Katie and I spun around continuously for several minutes.  Katie and I always went back to that place to go around in circles.  By the end of the day, Katie and I had probably spent about twenty minutes total just spinning in the round-a-bout.  It was awesome.  As we walked out of the gardens, we had decided that we would invite Ryan and Paige along really soon the next time we wanted to go to the gardens.  That day ended up being August 16th, and that story will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment